Friday, May 1, 2009

i wish the treadmill could be my boyfriend.

sometimes.


we first starting spending time together when i was 13 and my dad bought me a gym pass. it's definitely lasted longer than any other relationship i've had. i've loved having a treadmill in my life for 7+ years now. that has to mean something.

the treadmill will spend time with me whenever i feel like spending time with it. it isn't needy or pushy. i'm pretty sure it's just happy to see me whenever i decide to come around. 

it doesn't matter if it's raining, or snowing or 380 degrees outside. it's always there. i like consistency. 

in fact, i never wonder whether or not the treadmill has changed its mind about liking me. i never wonder whether or not the treadmill is going to hurt my feelings. and i never wonder whether or not the treadmill and i are right for each other. 

see, the treadmill is perfect.

sometimes.

but the treadmill can't surprise me. i tell it exactly how fast or slow i want to go. it will never show up at my door, completely unexpected, just because it wanted to see me. 

it can't tell me that i look fantastic or appreciate my amazing chocolate chip cookies.

and when i tell the treadmill i want to stop running, it lets me stop. no questions asked. but sometimes you need someone to tell you to keep running. that they want you to keep running. that they need you to keep running. with them. and if you feel like walking away, they're going to run after you. i suppose treadmills can't do that. 

still, i'm off to spend my friday night at the gym. there is a treadmill there waiting for me.

4 left some love.:

jackie herself May 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
jackie herself May 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

love this post. ps--i read your blog. =)

Unknown May 2, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Jana....I loved this post. It was beautiful. And so true. Treadmills will always be there for you, but sometimes you want to have to fight for it, and have it fight for you. Hope it treated you well :)

Rena May 5, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

love it.